Incorporated under the Societies Act on July 13th, 1962, the Thermal Insulation Association of Alberta (TIAA) consists of mechanical insulation contractors, both union and non-union, as well as manufacturer and supplier company members. There is also an affiliate membership for those associated with the industry in an indirect way. Association membership serves the industrial and commercial needs of Alberta, the Yukon and N.W.T.
TIAA's objectives are as follows:
- To promote the consideration and discussion of all matters affecting the insulation industry.
- To promote co-operation amongst the members on all matters affecting insulation industry.
- To interact with and provide facilities for any public or private bodies in matters affecting the insulation industry.
- To improve and elevate the technical and general knowledge of persons engaged in the insulation industry.
- To promote excellence in the manufacture, application and insulation of all insulation products and materials, together with just and honorable practice in the conduct of business, and to suppress malpractice.
- Thermal Insulation Association of Alberta shall be non-political and non-sectarian.
Industry issues involving the insulation industry regularly come to the attention of the TIAA board. These issues range from apprenticeship, bid depository (ACTS), labour issues, trade protection, maintaining trade workmanship standards and the general promotion of the industry. TIAA has and continues to have input into the Alberta Construction Tendering System (ACTS) which allows construction trades within Alberta to submit bids on projects.
The Thermal Insulation Association of Canada (TIAC) is the national industry association for contractors,distributors and manufacturers of commercial, industrial and institutional thermal insulation, asbestos abatement and firestop. TIAC's mandate is to promote the conservation of energy through the effective use of mechanical insulation. TIAA is one of five provincial contractors associations affiliated with TIAC. For further information on TIAC, please visit their website at http://www.tiac.ca.
The National Insulation Association (NIA) is a not-for-profit trade association representing the merit (open shop) and union contractors, distributors, laminators, fabricators, and manufacturers that provide thermal insulation, insulation accessories, and components to the commercial, mechanical, and industrial markets throughout the nation. Since 1953, the northern Virginia-based association has been the voice of the insulation industry and is dedicated to keeping the commercial and industrial insulation industry up to date on the latest industry trends and technologies. For further information on NIA, please visit their website at www.insulation.org.